Aluminum Solution Heat Treating Ovens AMS 2750
Solution heat treating of aluminum in ovens or furnaces made in USA (electric heated, direct gas and indirect gas fired) in bottom drop furnaces/ovens or belt furnaces to meet process specifications such as AMS 2770, AMS 2771, AMS 2772, BAC-5621, RPS-953, MIL-H-6088 and others, as well as NADCAP AC1702 requirements.
Aluminum solution heat treatment involves raising the alloy temperature to a point where alloy constituents dissolve back into “solution” within the aluminum base material. This process is temperature critical and requires highly accurate control of both temperature uniformity and soak time at temperature. Once the correct condition has been achieved the material is quenched quickly (5 - 15sec quench delay time) insuring that the materials previously dissolved remain “frozen” in solution.
The process parameters for heat treatment of Aluminum alloys are determined by the responsible engineering organization (examples: AMS / CQI-9) depending upon the desired outcome and intended use. The aircraft & aerospace industry recognizes and adheres to processes as determined and promulgated through NADCAP process specifications. Automotive industries also process Magnesium alloys.
Precipitation or Age hardening makes use of the tendency of alloying materials to come back out of solution over time. This process occurs even without special treatment, but precipitatatin or age hardening ovens (225°F - 460°F) are generally used to speed up the process thereby assuring the delivered product is fully hardened and ready to be used.
Please contact us so we can assist you with your Aluminum Solution heat treat question.
- AMS 2750E Article
- AMS / NADCAP Specifications
- AMS 2750E Furnace Class Specifications
- The 101 of AMS Specifications for Aluminum Heat Treating
- General Application and Characteristics of Wrought Aluminum Alloys Series
- Heat Treating of Aluminum Alloys (ASM Handbook)
- Aluminum Solution Heat Treating Furnaces Summary
- AMS 2750E System Accuracy Testing Temperature Uniformity Surveys
- Aluminum Solution Heat Treat Definitions
- AMS 2750E-CQI-9 Furnace specifications